Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Review: Define Normal

Title:  Define Normal
Author:  Julie Anne Peters
Rating:  4.5/5

Summary:

Now in its fourth hardcover printing, Define "Normal" has become a word-of-mouth phenomenon. This is a thoughtful, wry story about two girls--a "punk" and a "priss"--who find themselves facing each other in a peer-counseling program, and discover that they have some surprising things in common.

Review:

I really liked this book.  Because I have read other books by this author before I spent a vast majority of the book wondering when the two main characters would get together romantically.  It took me until about halfway through to realize they weren't going to.  After I got over that I started seeing the story better.

You see the events from Antonia's point of view, when in fact it's Jazz who has all the answers that we don't see coming.  It's a story of two girls overcoming prejudices, and how each girl has different struggles in their lives and how they handle it.

It tries to teach that you should look beyond the surface and see why a person acts the way he or she does.  And I think that goal was taught throughout the book.

It was a quick read that is easy to demolish in a few hours.

Recommended to those who like realistic coming-of-age stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment