Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Review: My Book of Life by Angel

So I checked my latest posts and realized I haven't done an actual review of a book in well over a month!  This shocked me.  Considering that is the main type of post people read on book blogs, and the main type I've aimed to provide my readers with.

While I have no time to read an actual (non-law related) book until Christmas break, I can at least try to review some of the books I've read in the last year or so.  Plus I can review some of my all time favorites.

So up today is a book I read in April.


Title:  My Book of Life by Angel
Author:  Martine Leavitt
Rating: 5/5

Summary:

When sixteen-year-old Angel meets Call at the mall, he buys her meals and says he loves her, and he gives her some candy that makes her feel like she can fly. Pretty soon she's addicted to his candy, and she moves in with him. As a favor, he asks her to hook up with a couple of friends of his, and then a couple more.

Now Angel is stuck working the streets at Hastings and Main, a notorious spot in Vancouver, Canada, where the girls turn tricks until they disappear without a trace, and the authorities don't care. But after her friend Serena disappears, and when Call brings home a girl who is even younger and more vulnerable than her to learn the trade, Angel knows that she and the new girl have got to find a way out.

Review:

This is one of my favorite types of books for three main reasons:

  • Hard-hitting current issue (thus emotional)
  • Poetry based fiction (not written in the traditional prose format)
  • No sugar-coating of the characters or the storyline
I read this in two days, and while it took me a while to pick up after I got it out of the library, I couldn't put it down as soon as I started reading it.  I don't recommend it to readers under 15 or 16 because it is an issue that is disturbing, and because of the format it can be a bit cryptic in its message.

I like how not every feeling and situation is fully written out because of the author's style, but I can understand how it can be a hard read.  Personally, I like that it forces my imagination further.

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment