Monday, April 22, 2013

Review: Insurgent

Title:  Insurgent
Author:  Veronica Roth
Series:  Divergent [2]
Rating:  5/5


Summary:

One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


Review:

I loved this book, but not as much as the first one.  It moved really fast, and I enjoyed that we traveled through the other factions with Tris, but there was so much turmoil between her and Tobias.

The only part I really got stuck on was the last 50 pages or so (which was where the biggest action was).  It took me a week to read just those pages, but I think it was due to my own lack of interest in reading in general, not so much a gap in the storyline or interest.

One thing that was bad about visiting all the factions was all the names thrown at us readers.  I love getting more characters, but there's a limit, especially when there will be mass dying.  Personally I had real trouble keeping Johanna seperate from Jeanine and who Evelyn was in general.  Then with Lynn and her sister, and Marlene... I just got really confused and stopped trying to keep some of them straight after a while.

I LOVE and HATE how this book ends though!  That has to be the biggest cliff hanger I have read in a young adult book in a long time.  I won't say what it is here, but I will say that I am desperately waiting for the final book to come out (which isn't until October of this year).

Recommended to those with dystopian love!

No comments:

Post a Comment