Saturday, July 27, 2013

Review: The Program

Title: The Program
Author: Suzanne Young
Series: The Program [1]
Rating: 3/5

Summary:

Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.


Review:

Okay, I have A LOT to say about this book.  First, it's taken me about two months to actually read it because I just couldn't get into it.  Even when I finally got to working through it I almost put it down or chucked across the room several times.

The concept of a suicide epidemic, a ban on anti-depressants, and forcible commitment to essentially an asylum where they wipe you clean, terrifies me!  Mostly because I have been in the psychiatric system most of my life (not committed at any point, no).  But it scared me with the medication thing.  Nonetheless I continued to read.

The book is split into three sections that are basically: before the program, during the program, and after the program.  All from Sloane's POV.

On characters:

Sloane - Strong, mind of her own, won't take it all laying down, love it.  After the program... I don't like her as much.

James - Total mixed feelings.  I like the bad boy/sweet guy image that seems to mesh, but again after the program, don't like him.  Actually kind of hate him after that.

Realm - Hated him when we found out the secret, but then didn't hate him, then hated him again, and by the epilogue I was so confused I have no idea how I feel about him...

Miller - Liked him

Lacey - Liked her too

Sloane's parents:  HATE HER MOTHER, but at the same time understand.  I like her father though, and I have a feeling we won't see much of them after this first book, which kinda sucks.

------

So like I said at the start, I liked and hated this book all at the same time, so that makes me give it a middle of the road rating.  I'll probably keep reading the series when the next one comes out, but I don't know, it pissed me off (especially the epilogue)!  Speaking of which, how the heck do you put an epilogue onto the first book of a series?  It felt more like a sneak peak.



No idea who to recommend this too...

No comments:

Post a Comment