Saturday, April 9, 2016

Review: Go Set A Watchman

Title:  Go Set A Watchman
Author:  Harper Lee
Rating:  2.5/5

Summary:

Maycomb, Alabama. Twenty-six-year-old Jean Louise Finch--"Scout"--returns home from New York City to visit her aging father, Atticus. Set against the backdrop of the civil rights tensions and political turmoil that were transforming the South, Jean Louise's homecoming turns bittersweet when she learns disturbing truths about her close-knit family, the town and the people dearest to her. Memories from her childhood flood back, and her values and assumptions are thrown into doubt.

Featuring many of the iconic characters from To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set a Watchman perfectly captures a young woman, and a world, in a painful yet necessary transition out of the illusions of the past--a journey that can be guided only by one's conscience. 

Review:

I was so very stoked for this book to come out as soon as I heard the manuscript was found after Harper Lee's sister died.  I'm not sure I've really ever been so disappointed in a sequel before.  To Kill A Mockingbird was one of my ultimate favorite books, so naturally I was skeptical (as well as the previous excitement) about a book with my favorite characters that had apparently been previously rejected by the publishers.

I hate to say it, but they were right to originally reject it.

Whoever edited this (because come on, we know Harper didn't have a huge part in this decision or edit) did not do a stellar job.  I'm sad that this was the last book she released before her death.  I honestly wish it hadn't been found.


What did you think?  Am I being to harsh about it all?  And rest in peace Harper Lee.



No comments:

Post a Comment