Friday, September 30, 2016

Review: The Shining

Title:  The Shining
Author:  Stephen King
Rating:  5/5

Summary:

Past horrors and evil lurk in Colorado's Overlook Hotel, threatening winter season caretakers Jack Torrance, his wife Wendy, and their young son, Danny. Gifted with the shining, a clairvoyant Danny must battle the darkest evil in the remote hotel in an attempt to save his family from its influence.

Review:

Holy hell this book.  Can I start off by saying it's not only the first book I've finished in well over a month, but the longest book I've read this year at 683 pages?

It was amazing!

I had seen the movie some months ago and was like "ehh, not sure why this is a classic horror movie, but that hedge maze was kinda cool."  Then I read the book and was like "why the hell did they put that stupid hedge maze in the movie?  These hedge animals are way creepy!"

Also, the twins:




Yeah, sorry, they don't exist in the book as something Danny ever sees.  But the dog man makes up for the creepy factor by far!

Also, the movie never went into exactly what "the shining" ability that Danny had exactly was.  In the book that's the main focus, obviously!  He would have a good career in ghost hunting with those abilities honestly, or as a human lie detector.

Only Stephen King can write 200 pages worth of background before a story really kicks off and keep me on the edge of my seat.  He also writes this in a way that follows usual human thought, which means it diverges unexpectedly into a character's thoughts or feelings with no warning.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes horror books.  And if you've never read Stephen King before (like I hadn't) this is a great book to start with.



No comments:

Post a Comment